Scrambled Egg Whites with Spinach and Orange
With the added flavor of tomato, cayenne and orange, you won’t miss the yolks.
Serves 2, Calories: 85 (not including the whole orange)
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Nonfat cooking spray
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, well washed and stems trimmed
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Grated rind of one orange
- Beat the egg whites until frothy, and then blend in the tomato sauce.
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame and spray with cooking spray.
- Sauté the spinach until it is wilted and there is no liquid in the pan.
- Pour in the egg whites, season with cayenne pepper and salt, and cook slowly, stirring until thickened.
- Sprinkle with grated orange rind and serve immediately.
This dish really surprised me. I didn’t have very high expectations for it but it turned out pretty alright. I think if I were to make this again I would add some cilantro to it to add more flavor but the most shocking thing about this dish was that the orange rind, the ingredient I expected the least from really salvaged it. If you’re looking for a low fat breakfast, definitely try this out but if not, keep the yolk!
Recipe taken from: http://www.getwiththeprogram.org/breakfast.html