Vegan Shepard’s Pie
- 4 or 5 russet baked potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup plain soymilk
- 8 oz. slice mushrooms
- 1 head broccoli, chopped or grated, stems and all
- 2 carrots, chopped or grated
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch plus 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 handfuls French fried onions
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
Mash cooked potatoes with as much soymilk as you need and lots of vegan buttery spread to make them nice and creamy. Add some salt and pepper and a sprinkle of garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the garlic and onion over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and celery and cook until veggies start to wilt
Typically for me this would be the last step in the recipe
- Add the broth and soymilk along with the cornstarch and flour. Let the mixture come to a boil, stirring frequently. Sauce will thicken up a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When all the vegetables are cooked, remove from heat.
- Spray an 8″x8″ or 9″x13″ baking dish with nonstick oil spray and spoon the vegetable mixture onto the bottom. Cover with the potatoes and smooth them down. Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast and French fried onions.
- Heat in oven for 10 minutes or so until top is slightly firm and onions are browned.
Yum! Make sure to add a good amount of extra seasoning (or just prepare to add it in after the fact) as I thought my dish as a tad bit bland for my tastes, but Noah LOVED it, so mission accomplished!